Thursday 25 August 2011

Mom is the boss on the sets: Esha Deol



Esha Deol returns to films after a brief, self-imposed hiatus with Tell Me O Kkhuda, directed and produced by her mom, Hema Malini. The film is about a girl searching the world for her absentee father, releasing on 30 September. 

You are returning to films after a while... 
I wanted to take a break because I didn't like the roles coming my way. I was stuck in a rut. I wanted to have memorable experiences, so I travelled from London to USA. On returning, mama (Hema Malini) and I got into the scripting of Tell Me O Kkhuda, which took us eight months to finalise.

How was the experience working in your home production? 
It was exciting and challenging. I sat in on every aspect of the making of the film, everyday. Over the next 10 years, I plan to get into filmmaking in a big way. This experience will stand me in good stead. I have learnt and grown a lot with TMOK.

What's Tell Me O Kkhuda about? 
It's the journey of a girl Tanya, who travels in search of her father across Rajasthan, Goa andTurkey. It's about how my character meets different people from different cultures and touches their hearts. It's an emotional film that explores the special bond girls share with their fathers. Rishi Kapoor, Vinod Khanna and dad (Dharmendra) are the three men I meet, one of whom is supposed to be my father.

How was it shooting with your father for the first time? 
Mom was hesitant to approach papa for the role. I was scared but still asked him. He said, "Main sochta hoon." Three days later, he said he would do it. It was overwhelming! The night before the shoot, we both couldn't sleep a wink as we were too nervous and excited! We didn't use any glycerine while crying. We are cry babies. Mom was stoic as usual as she doesn't show what she feels.

How was it having your mom directing you? 
It's been wonderful! She is a strict director and knows exactly what she wants and how to get it. Though she and I were very professional on the sets, we would often forget we were not at home and break into Tamil - a language the unit didn't understand... that became funny sometimes.

Who is the boss on the sets? Mom or dad? 
Mom is the boss on the sets. She is very strict and papa and I both listen to her. 

No comments:

Post a Comment