Thursday 21 April 2011

Who is Kunal," mom asks Soha



While Soha's bro Saif is all ready to produce a film for her beau, Kunal Kemmu, her mom Sharmila didn't even know who the actor was until she learnt that her daughter was dating him. 

Soha recounted the incident to TOI, which resulted from a long-winding conversation. "Whenever I have to go somewhere with my mom, I'm pretty scared. You know, I am a very last-minute person. Like, I'll never decide on my clothes until the eleventh hour.

And the moment I hurriedly get ready, amma will look at me from head to toe and say, 'So, you will wear this and come along? I mean these shoes and umm... this dress? Okaay...' And amma is just the opposite – her things are in place well ahead of time, and she's very proper about everything," Soha told us.

So then, how was it working with her mother for the first time, for UK-based filmmaker Sangeeta Datta's "Life Goes On"? "I was not scared of the experience of working with her. For, we both are very comfortable with each other. We don't tread on each other's nerves. Like, for instance, if I know she's not in a good mood, I won't nudge her. I'd rather let her be. Same is for her when I'm not in a good mood, so we both give each other good space, which is why working with her was fine. I think people around me scared me saying stuff like 'You know what? This is your first scene with your mom, so better be careful'. In my first scene, I had to tell my mother that I've been dating someone and that I'm now expecting. And she gave me a stern expression... and that expression was very familiar, as I had seen it on her face sooo many times in real life," Soha laughed.

So, how were things when she had to tell her mom about her boyfriend for the first time? She laughed and ensured us that nothing filmi happened, and that things were rather funny. "Actually, amma didn't really know who Kunal Kemmu was! She hadn't seen his work or his films. But she had once come to the sets of "99" (in which Soha starred with Kunal). At that time, we were shooting a scene where Kunal was only in a pink-coloured bath robe. So, when I told her about me and Kunal, she asked 'Who is Kunal Kemmu?' Then I explained, 'Amma, remember the guy in that pink bath robe that day? It's him.' She said, 'Umm... okay! Strange choice!'" Soha broke into laughter again, "So she didn't really know him, but she's got to know him and his work now, over the past one-and-a-half years, and the two get along really well now."

Does that mean something funny happened when she told her dad? "Oh no no. He knows that I am a grown up and feels that it's me who has to live with the person I marry, so as long as I am happy, he's fine. Dad's very supportive and loving, but he doesn't really get involved in my personal life beyond a point. You know, you expect your mom to be the bridge between you and your dad. In college days, I remember, dad would talk to me about 'How are money matters? Whether I was okay with the money I have or I want more? And also whether my studies are going well? With mom I used to discuss more personal matters," Soha said.

Talking of personal matters, both Soha and Saif have been very open about their relationships, and not their respective partners. Any particular reason? "No, it's just that we feel there's nothing secretive about being in a relationship with someone. Even our parents were very open and vocal about their relationship. That too in an era when a Hindu and a Muslim being together was such a taboo. So I guess, we've learnt it from them," she said.

No comments:

Post a Comment