Monday 5 December 2011

Don't call it an item number: Mrinalini Sharma


Don't call it an item number: Mrinalini Sharma

Bollywood may boast of a bevy of actresses hailing from an army background, but Delhi-born Mrinalini Sharma is proud to be called the daughter of an IPS officer.
The model-turned-actress, who made her tinsel town debut with a cameo in the Ajay Devgan-starrer "Apaharan" and hogged the limelight in Emraan Hashmi-starrer "Awarapan" talks about her Bollywood journey.
"Both my brother and I wanted to breakaway. My brother is an assistant director who is learning the art of direction and I went on to become a model. Movies just happened. I never had dreams of becoming an actress. I went to the audition on a lark and Bollywood just happened. It wasn't strategized. The reason we could pull it off is thanks to immense of support and trust we got from home and we're lucky that way," she reveals.
After her last release, the Rajeev Khandelwal-starrer " Soundtrack", Mrinalini is looking forward to her next flick "Jodi Breakers" that hits the screens in February 2012. Recalling how she landed that role, she says, "I didn't audition for it. It happened over a single meeting. My role is very colorful one. I strive to play such interesting characters in my movies," she adds.
Working with co-stars Madhavan and Bipasha Basu was a ball, says Mrinalini. "The experience has been great so far. Bipasha is very beautiful and Madhavan is such a great co-star. He shares tips, nuances and suggestions and he is just a treat to watch and work with."
While filming for the flick earlier this year in Greece, the actress gave in to her wanderlust and extended her stay in the holiday spot after finishing her shooting schedule. "Earlier this year, someone has asked me if I had to throw a dart on a place I'd want to spend my birthday in, where would it be. I said I'd love to be in Greece. Ironically, around my birthday, the shooting of "Jodi Breakers" was scheduled in Greece! It was an amazing coincidence. I stayed back for 10 days after the film's schedule to explore Greece," she says.
Looking back at her career, which began with a cameo item number, Mrinalini says, "I have a huge issue with the term 'item' number because the word 'item' here is a gender-specific term. Moreover, the song I debuted with, had a decent video. But apart from that tag, I never had any issues with such songs, nor will I have in the future."
Ask the actress if she has eyes set on Tollywood too and she says, "I'm very open to offers from Tollywood and other film industries. I've just started out and I have a long way to go. We're actors and are not bound by language. I haven't seen too many Telugu films, but I do watch a few now and then. "Magadheera" was the last Telugu film I watched," says this glam doll, who confesses that she is a bit of a tomboy in real life.
"I'm a daredevil actually," she quips, adding, "I might not know swimming but I learnt scuba-diving and went on to become a certified scuba-diver... something that I'm proud of. I'm not fond of heights, but I want to try sky-diving someday. For now, I plan to learn to ride a bike. I'm an avid book reader. I'm also a gamer and I like beating the boys at their game," she says.

1 comment: