Monday 16 January 2012

Hrithik has grown to be a fine actor: Sanjay Dutt


Hrithik has grown to be a fine actor: Sanjay Dutt

Sanjay Dutt recounts his experience of getting into the skin of his latest character, who is evil personified

When Kancha Cheena leers at the camera in Karan Malhotra's Agneepath, the impact is so immediate that one recoils in horror. The actor talks to BT about the film and why Kancha is the one character that has him spooked.

What was your first reaction when offered the role of Kancha Cheena? Karan Johar(Agneepath's producer) came to meet me. He told me the role was a negative one. He added that he hadn't worked with me all these years as he couldn't offer me anything substantial. But he said Kancha Cheena was such a role. But it was when Karan Malhotra came and narrated the script that I was blown away by it. It was phenomenal!

What drew you to such a dark role? I loved the character. Kancha Cheena is so complex, crazy, dark, unpredictable and larger-than-life. I was an anti-hero in Khalnayak but this guy was something out of this world! I have never seen or played a character so dark and evil. Yet though Kancha is a very dark character, his lines are very funny!

Are you aware that with your portrayal of Kancha you have brought back the era of strong villains back into Hindi films? If I have done that, it is because of Karan Malhotra! He was very clear about what he wanted from the character. He had sketches of Kancha right from his look to the way he walked and talked. I found Kancha extremely challenging as I haven't ever done something so dark before. I am not like him. The other day when I was dubbing for Kancha for the climax, halfway through, I asked the director to just stop! When he asked why, I said I couldn't bear it anymore and needed to go for a smoke, soothe my nerves and then start dubbing again. I had to stop dubbing for half an hour as I couldn't bear to see myself as someone so wicked, evil and crazy. After the dubbing, I called Maanayata and told her I can't believe it's me doing that!

How do you see the new Agneepath? I have seen the original film but Karan (Malhotra) has totally changed the new one around.

How was it working with Karan Johar for the first time? He's exactly like his father. Karan's large-heartedness, his passion to make films and the way he wants everything perfect for the cast and crew- from the food to the accommodations - reminds me of his dad. It felt like I was working in Gumraah again. One thing that Karan didn't do was make tea like his dad used to do. Every morning, Yash uncle would make tea for Sridevi, me and the rest of us and come to our rooms with it.

What do you think is Karan Malhotra's strength? For a producer like Karan Johar to give him a platform like Agneepath shows that the producer saw some potential. Karan Malhotra is most focused and knows exactly what he wants. He made life easy for me as an actor. Agneepath is his vision. If Karan didn't agree with what we said, he just didn't agree. I respect that.

How was it working with Hrithik again after Mission Kashmir? Then, I could see that nervousness in him. Today, Hrithik has grown to be a fine actor. It was a pleasure working with him in Agneepath.

No comments:

Post a Comment