Tuesday 10 January 2012

I miss my abba every day: Shabana Azmi


I miss my abba every day: Shabana Azmi

Ready to perform Kaifi Aur Main at Times Pune Festival today with Javed Akhtar, Shabana Azmi gets candid on love and life...
She lost her father almost ten years back, but till date Shabana Azmi can't hide that flicker of emotion in her voice, when she speaks about Kaifi Azmi, the revolutionary Urdu poet, who has left an indelible mark on the sands of time. You are moved when she says: "I miss my abba every day. When he passed away, I was inconsolable, but Javed wrote a poem - Ajeeb Aadmi tha wo', which helped me realise that abba is still living through his works. I found his presence all around me and now he's my closest inner companion."

Labour of love Her mood lightens the moment you mention Times Pune Festival. "Kaifi aur Main is a celebration of Abba's life and works seen through the eyes of my mother, noted theatre and film actress, Shaukat Kaifi. Sensitive and touching narrative written by Javed Akhtar is based on Ammi's book of memoirs Yaad Ki Rehguzar as well as on Kaifi Azmi's interviews and writings. Each word of this presentation belongs to my parents' life, and Javed and I enact them. So, it's a labour of love, which has got a standing ovation everywhere!"

Pune gladdens me! Staging this unique presentation in Pune means a lot to me because the city gladdens my heart every time. Here, people understand and appreciate good music, art and theatre. And in Kaifi Aur Main, there's something for everyone. Those, who love theatre, will relate to it. Bollywood music buffs will also get to enjoy some lovely numbers penned by abba and sung by Jaswinder Singh. Lovers will enjoy its inherent romance, which thrived despite suffering, ill-health and socio-political turmoil. This performance in Pune is even more special because this is a part of abba's 90th birthday celebrations, which will culminate on January 19, his birthday!"

'Javed and I' This theatrical collage has made waves for being Javed Akhtar's theatrical debut. Ask her if he was nervous matching wits on stage with his wife, who is serenaded as a brilliant actress, and Shabana says with a chuckle: "Javed does not know the meaning of nervousness; although, he pretends otherwise. Everytime ahead of a show, he says, 'Dekhna ab jab main boloonga, toh logon ko pata chal hee jayega ki mujhe acting nahin aati!' But, it's all a sham; he's a natural actor!'

Love actually Try ragging her about her husband making her blush even today, and Shabana says pertly: "There are young girls who tell me that I'm so lucky to have such a romantic poet for a husband, and I always tell them that Javed doesn't have a romantic bone in his body! He reasons, 'Just because you are a trapeze artiste, it doesn't mean you have to hang upside down even at home!' But, the binding force in our marriage is our deep friendship and our shared world-view. Javed always says - 'shaadi bhi hamari dosti ko nahin hila saki!' We do have our shares of fights. Recently, when we were building our home - Sukoon - both of us had different takes on how it should look. After a while, I was completely baffled by the scales that the home had taken. A dear friend then told me - "Shabana, the difference between you and Javed is of Sholay and Ankur.' He can only think 70mm and I go into minute details. But, we accept and cherish these differences!"

No comments:

Post a Comment